Re: SAWSDL in WXMO-MX [was Re: Commercial/Real-world Semantic Web Services?]

Hi Bijan, all,
On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 02:22:13PM +0100, Bijan Parsia wrote:
> If I may present a slightly different take:
>
> 	When SAWSDL finishes, what's next for SWS at the W3C?
>
> I.e., is it just evangalism now? Is there future standards work? Do
> we need/want an XG? A WG? To do what exactly.
>
> WSDL also went to recommendation(finally! whew!), and WS-Policy is
> proceeding. So, swsers...what do we want/think should be done?

good question for sure :)

> It is reasonable, I think. There are three possibilities, I think:
>
> 	1) Have a meeting at the Tech plenary in Nov in Boston.
> 	Pros: lots of w3c interaction; SW-IG had meetings to good effect
> 	there
> 	Cons: Awkward wrt ISWC; far for a lot of major SWS players; may be
> too late to get a slot
> 	http://www.w3.org/2002/09/TPOverview.html

It is certainly possible to have a BOF there but that means a short
meeting for a small subset of SWS people. Maybe not sufficient.

> 	2) Have a workshop associated with a conference (such as ISWC)
> 	Pros: some flexibility; if we pick the right conference, lots of
> players might go; ISWC folks might host; there are WS conferences
> that could produce some synergy
> 	Cons: Often academically biased; ISWC itself is far for lots of
> people and the formal workshop application is closed so would have to
> do something ad hoc

You may want to contact some W3C SW folks there in any case, to get
the "non-WS" impression.

> 	3) Have a W3C follow up workshop to the one on Frameworks for
> Semantics in WS:
> 	http://www.w3.org/2005/01/ws-swsf-cfp
> 	Pros: It's been two years; often a lot of W3C engagement; flexible
> (even could be coloed with a conference)
> 	Cons: Needs a host; don't know if the W3C would be interested

I think we could organize a second workshop after the XG terminates its
work, there could be a presentation of results and then a debate.
I also hope to see more discussion in this mailing list in the next
few weeks/months.

--
Carine Bournez -+- W3C Europe