Re: Can OWL-S be used as a service composition language?

hi,
any automatically verifiable composition in owl-s
requires agreed upon formal semantics which do not exist
in the offical documents. however, reduction of the problem
to bpel orchestration (based on the grounding wsdl services)
is dangerous too for the same reason, though research
on bpel 2.0 semantics is vivid.
as pawel indicated, there are recent results on
(a) transforming owl-s to bpel - syntactic
(b) providing bpel with formal operational semantics (such as in CPN)
(c) checking for bpel orchestration equivalence or verification
other approaches like (Vaculin & Sycara, 2007)
transform (syntactic) OWL-S to logical satements in Promela and use
model checking via SPIN for verification purposes - which you can partly
misuse for matching purposes via liveness constraint checking.
cheers, matthias

Pawel Urbanski schrieb:

> Hi
> Take a look at WSMO - web services modeling ontology. There is a library
> that supports service composition via orchestration rules or similar
> mechanism. Web service endpoints are anotated with semantic information.
> Providers can be different but prefered is the WSMO - Web Services
> Modeling Ontology. There is some work on Semantic BPEL S-BPEL or SBPEL -
> please search on Google, for I don't have the links at hand right now.
> You could create some ontology for your problem domain and then use a
> method from code generation world to generate BPEL. Ontologies are very
> good at representing various structures but reasoning over them can be
> rather expensive. If you can do it as some kind of one-time activity it
> is OK, but I may be afraid of using on in the real-time world where you
> are supposed to compose a few dozen processes on the fly.
> I wrote you my answer based on the generic ideas. Please, write a short
> and simplest example so we could think of a better solution.
>
> Greetings,
> Pawel
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Linh Duy Pham" <lpham@ict.swin.edu.au>

Dr. Matthias Klusch
German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI)
Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, 66123 Saarbruecken, Germany
Phone: +49-681-302-5297, Fax: +49-681-302-2235
http://www.dfki.de/~klusch/
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes