Re: Semantic Services

On Mar 29, 2007, at 10:35 PM, Ivo Augusto wrote:

> Hello everbody...
>   I have searched about ontology to describes services, in this
> case, OWL-S. Up to now, i have found many things about OWL-S
> related to Semantic Web Services. I´m interested about that
> (Semantic Web Services), but it is not all. I would like to know if
> are there another options for other technologies. I´d like to know
> if are there some ways to relate OWL-S to other kinds of services,
> such as UPnP, Jini, and so on.

Yep, in several ways.

If you have a UPnP or Jini WSDL binding, then it's exactly the same
as for SOAP or HTTP bindings.

You could also extend the grouding to go directly to the, e.g., UPnP.
This was done as part of Fujitsu's task computing project:
	<http://taskcomputing.org/>

There is code support for those groundings in the Mindswap OWL-S API:
	<http://owl-s.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/org/mindswap/owls/
grounding/>
	<http://owl-s.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/impl/owls/grounding/>

If you dig around, you might find some example grounding files.

(e.g., I found one by googling:
	<http://lists.mindswap.org/pipermail/owl-s/2005-May/000298.html>)

(Note that there's also a grounding to direct java calls.)

> If so, what are the capacity of the interoperability among them
> through the OWL-S, either in searches or in composition and
> invocation of the services and if is there any API which does this
> task. I also would like to know if are there papers about this theme!?

See:
	<http://www.daml.org/services/owl-s/1.1/overview/#6>

The OWL-S API should handle this fine. It did so for the
TaskComputing project...you could discover, match, compose, and
execute services with complete indifference to whether they were
soapy or upnpy.

Cheers,
Bijan.