Re: sws matchmaker contest

From: Antoon Goderis <goderisa@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 11:32:54 +0100 (BST)
To: Matthias Klusch <klusch@dfki.de>, <public-sws-ig@w3.org>
cc: mygrid-man@lists.man.ac.uk, <ezolin@cs.man.ac.uk>, <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>

Dear Matthias,

> in due course of planning a semantic web service matchmaker contest,
> i am currently looking for

We are interested and would like to share what has been developed as part
of the myGrid [1] and Dynamo [2] projects. I indicate below what we have
available and what's upcoming. myGrid is working in the context of
bioinformatics services (its Taverna [3] workbench allows access to over
3000 distributed services). Dynamo works on description logic based
service discovery mechanisms.

> * all kinds of *implemented* owl-s or wsmo matchmakers
>    in particular those which have not been published yet,
>    but might be interested in participating in such a contest.

An OWL based matcher implementing the results of a recent AAAI paper [4]
should be in prototype phase by November/December. The Feta RDFS based
matcher [5] and mismatcher [6] could also be of interest.

> * partners that would be willing to initiate or further develop service
>    retrieval test collections for measuring the retrieval performance of
>    these matchmakers such as the owls-tc v2 for owl-s (i do not know
>    yet of any wsmo test collection)

We have a set of RDFS annotated services of about 30. With the above
prototype release, a couple of pure OWL-S based services will be made
available, with more to come. In addition, a full time service annotator
has recently joined the myGrid project. We are still deciding which
annotation tools and formalisms to use but what's pretty clear is that no
pre-/postconditions will be modelled.

Finally, you made the reference to TREC. We hope your contest will be less
competitive and more collaborative in spirit. For an example of a
community that developed an example of the latter, check out the recent
Provenance Challenge [7].

Best,

Antoon, on behalf of the myGrid team

Antoon Goderis