Re: WSDL Debate Continued..

On Mar 20, 2006, at 4:01 PM, David Martin wrote:

> Jacek Kopecky wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>> I think your two points were pretty much embodied in the recent WS
>> Activity proposal in W3C - creating the SA-WSDL working group for
>> point
>> one and repurposing the SWS-IG for point two. Or do you think that
>> something is missing? 8-)
>
> Hi Jacek -
>
> The SWS-IG has essentially nothing to do with what I am suggesting.
> The SWS-IG "exists mainly as an email forum".  That's a quote from
>     http://www.w3.org/2005/09/sws-ig-charter.
> As such, the SWS-IG is a very useful thing, but I don't see how you
> could possibly conclude that it addresses my point 2 (below).

Well, we could do more:

"""The Semantic Web Services Interest Group exists mainly as an email
forum; it does not conduct regular distributed or face-to-face
meetings, although occasional workshops and meetings (teleconferences,
IRC meetings or face-to-face meetings) may be arranged as needed. The
Interest Group may hold meetings (e.g. "Birds-Of-a-Feather" sessions)
at conferences, at the discretion of the Chair and W3C team contact."""

> What I am suggesting in point 2 is a much more proactive step that W3C
> could take.  That is, W3C could charter a working group to standardize
> how to specify, in a SemWeb-based manner, the low-hanging fruit that's
> at the intersection of most of the SWS proposals.

We could also do an XG. The interest group is a natural place to try to
get an XG going:
	<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/>

>   If this were done, it would provide a model for the semantic content
> referred to by the annotations produced by the sa-ws group (if it
> happens).  My claim is that having such a model would create a great
> deal more value for the WS community, because it will provide a
> standard for the semantic *content*, not just for the hooks.  (This is
> a concern that has been mentioned by others recently on this list.)

+1

> The Semantics for Web Services Characterization Group:
>     http://www.w3.org/2005/10/sws-charac-charter.html,
> which is currently on the back burner, could be viewed as an
> intermediate step towards the WG that I am suggesting.  (However, I'm
> not sure that it's really needed as a prerequisite to what I am
> suggesting.)

I recommend, myself, action, but in a lightweight way. The problem with
a lightweight way is that it's hard to get people to actually be
engaged.

Be nice if SWSs as an area were more concrete problem driven.

Cheers,
Bijan.