Re: Semantics of WSDL vs. semantics of service

On Mar 20, 2006, at 5:39 AM, Jacek Kopecky wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> while the charter does not directly support embedded semantic
> annotations, I think the issue is still open and up for discussion by
> the WG.

I went back and looked and the Scope section is a bit broken (as
evidenced by Steve's quote):

"""The Semantic Annotations for WSDL Working Group is chartered to
define one or more properties of WSDL 2.0 components to point to
additional semantics to concepts represented by those components, e.g.
interface, operation, endpoint. Additionally, the Working Group may
define annotations to the schema structure to point to external
semantics.""""

"point to additional semantics to concepts" just doesn't parse.
Additional semantics *for* concepts represented?

I confess to hating the term "external semantics". C'mon.

> I for one see some use cases where embedding the annotations would be
> useful, and I can see at least two ways of embedding them: put a whole
> semantic description

I go back to a fight I had in SWSL. What's a *non* semantic description?

>  document somewhere in the WSDL document (like we
> put schemas in the <types> section) and then the annotations will point
> into the document; or put the full annotations themselves on the spot,
> instead of referring to them.

How are the "semantics" to be realized? Via some sort of statement
(e.g., axioms in some formalism). So let's say I have a set of concept
and property names, but no further axiomization. And I want to say of
some operation that is has at least one P relation to a C. Now since
there *is* no other axiom, this characterized the terms entirely (thus
far). May I inline that? It seems like I should be able to.
Alternatively, I could require that I always coin a name for these
intermediate expressions (but why?).

(Note that originally I interpreted the discussion as requiring *all
parts* of the annotation to be outside the WSDL document, a la OWL-S.
There are reasonable reasons for doing this (including supporting third
party and alternative annotations seamlessly. Technically, I guess this
is not ruled out by the current charter since the concrete syntax of
the component properties could be or be required to be in a separate
document.

> While the second option can be seen as out of scope as defined in the
> charter, at least the first option should be available to us. 8-)

I find the Out of Scope more disturbing:

"""discuss expression of Web services constraints and capabilities,
including precondition and effect."""

Why? And how can this be at all narrowed? I mean, from the scope, "
could have different meanings: calculation of tax on a product,
calculation of income tax, etc. " Aren't these expressions of
capabilities? (I recognize that constraints and capabilties are a term
of art standing for "policy", but still.)

Cheers,
Bijan.