RE:

Jacek,

Dr. Martin is unhappy to see that I messed up his original thread so I
replied to you separately. What I mentioned previously is that adding
semantic annotations into WSDL is a way to explain the meaning of WSDL,
other than the meaning of Web services. Given the example of ESRI's Address
Finder Web services, by now it has three versions with different WSDL
interface definition. However, the meaning of this service keeps the same in
three different versions. So if you add semantic annotations into WSDL, it
just describes the meaning of the interface, not the meaning of the service,
especially considering most of the interface definitions in WSDL have
nothing related to the *meaning* of this service. In this case, your
semantic annotations will be different since the interfaces are different,
but the *meaning* of the service has been the same in three different
versions.

My suggestion is to separate service semantics from the service development.
In this way, we can share the service semantics among different service
providers. For example, geocode.us also provides a FREE address geocoding
Web service but has different business logic from ESRI's paid service. In
this case, the fundamental service semantics are the same. You can see from
these examples as well as those abstract cases of addition services that,
service semantics are neutral and independent with no relation with
interface definition in WSDL.

Moreover, given the example of calculations services, the meaning of the
input varialbes in addition/multiplication and subtraction/division is
different. In addition/multiplication function interfaces:

function addition/multiplication (double x, double y):double z

since x+y=y+x and x*y=y*x, you can then ignore the order of the input
varialbes.

However, in subtraction/division functions, you have to consider how to let
the requester know that your service will do something like x-y or x/y other
than y-x or y/x. When we put all four functions in one service WSDL
document, as Dr. Martin was concerned, how can we tell the questers that
this 'x' is different from that 'x', considering we can develop such
function and services in different ways?

By separating service semantics from interface description, we can ignore
such issues and focus on the *meaning* of the services. What programmers
need to do is to associate their programming interfaces with service
description documents. In this case, whatever and however they change their
business logics or interfaces like ESRI's three different version of
services, if the service semantics are the same, requesters do not need to
change anything at the client's side based on the service description
document, which can also be shared by either SOAP or REST services.

In conclusion, I think the meaning of WSDL is not the meaning of the
service. Adding semantic annotations into WSDL is helpful to understand WSDL
but not the meaning of the service which can be neutral and shared by all
service providers who provide the same kind of services and functions, like
ESRI and geocode.us, and be deployed by either SOAP or REST services.

Best wishes,

Xuan

P.S.

Please check the following living Web services in different versions, the
latest ESRI's Address Finder Web Service's WSDL file at
http://www.arcwebservices.com/services/v2006/AddressFinder.wsdl

and its 2nd version at:
http://arcweb.esri.com/services/v2/AddressFinder.wsdl

The "findLocationByAddress" function of the Address Finder Web services in
version 2006 was called "findAddress" in the 2nd version of Address Finder
Web services. Please check both documents and see if at least 3/4 of the
interface defitions in the WSDL document are meaningless and have nothing
about the *meaning* of this function and service - they are actually the
product of object oriented programming, such as the two matchType elements
(do you want to explain in RDF/OWL what's the difference between them?),
locationInfo, or GeocodeInfo, bla, bla, bla... These are all coding details
for programmers to retrieve the value of geocoding result, but have NO
relation with the *meaning* of Web service.