Re: OWLS: KIF-Condition vs SWRL-Condition

On Jun 18, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Gerhard Austaller wrote:

> Hello
>
> In OWLS 1.2 there are several languages proposed to express
> conditions e.g.
> SWRL and KIF. But are these two languages different in expressiveness?

Very much so. SWRL is a proper subset of first order logic while KIF
is at least FOL (plus some funky things)>

> So
> couldn't it happen that some conditions that can be expressed with
> KIF can
> not expressed with SWRL?

Yes, that's (part of) the point.

It's not great for interop, but since there aren't a lot of KIF or
(full) SWRL reasoners about (in other words, you're best off sticking
to tree like queries over OWL DL kbs), it's a bit of a moot point.
KIF is in there explicitly mostly becasue one of the OWL-S developers
had a need for KIF expressible conditions. Ideally, as other
representation languages become popular (or just used by you) one can
further parameterize OWL-S descriptions. But if you are going for
interop/portability, I would stick with OWL-DL and tree like
conjunctive queries of SWRL atoms (to be, one hopes, soon superceded
by sparql queries).

Cheers,
Bijan.