Re: FWD [Work in Progress on Semantics for Web Services (Advance Notice)]

Hi Xuan -

Thanks for your comments.  You make some good points about OWL-S and
other SWS approaches such as WSMO.  But it appears to me that you are
giving an inaccurate picture of what OWL-S is about, so I would like to
provide a clarification.  Your comments seem to be based on the
assumption that OWL-S is only meant to be used in a
"backward-engineering" style; that is, only meant to be used to annotate
pre-existing WSDL services, which were designed independently from
Semantic Web approaches.

Here I only want to point out that OWL-S was not primarily conceived for
use in that "backward-engineering" style.  As Alois Reitbauer has also
pointed out in a previous message, it is possible to employ Semantic Web
approaches in a forward-engineering methodology; that is, incorporating
ontology-based semantics from the beginning in the design process.  A
number of researchers have been working on this way of doing things, and
tying it in with widely used methods such as those based on UML.
Furthermore, please note that WSDL-specified Web services are not
mandated to use XML Schema to describe their inputs and outputs.  WSDL
has extensibility mechnisms that allow for other "typing" mechanisms.
Thus it is possible to imagine Web services that are "native speakers"
of OWL (their inputs and outputs are exchanged using one of OWL's
serialization syntaxes), which would largely address the gap that you
describe between a WSDL and an OWL-S specification.

I hasten to add that no such services exist today, and furthermore there
are some unresolved difficulties.  (These have to do with the fact that
OWL instances can be serialized in so many different ways, and there can
be ambiguity regarding how much content needs to be carried to
adequately characterize an OWL instance.)  However, there has been a
good deal of discussion about these difficulties, and I believe they can
be addressed.  Presumably this might be a topic of concern if any SWS
standardization or pre-standardization activities materialize at W3C.

Finally I would like to add that there is no basis for your
characterization that SWS is "big business".  There is a great deal of
research interest in these technologies because the promise is so great,
but that's not at all the same as saying that it is "big business".
(For instance, I do not know of any companies that are trying to ensure
profits by trying to control the direction of SWS standardization
activities.)  I am certain that Carine is only trying to make progress
possible by considering some activities that would promote greater
collaboration between those who are working on WS and those who are
working on SWS, so that (among other things) we can make further
progress towards addressing issues such as those that you raise.

Regards,
David Martin