Re: LAM technologies for SW -> FCS-Ontologies [PUBLIC-SWS-IG]

Hi Linda, Hi Shashi

Shashi Kant wrote:
> Hi Linda
>
> There is plenty of interest in this field and it goes by several names:
> Bayesian reasoning, uncertainty reasoning, statistical
> reasoning/inferencing and what have you....
> OWL/RDF(s) inferencing are a (deterministic) subset of uncertainty
> reasoning and combing these two is also the thrust of my research at MIT.

Nice to hear that you re busy with this topics.
It s obvious that the current US QWL/RDF(s) as well as the EU WSMO
stream deal "only" with hard semantics in the description and
manipulation of crisp data.
They do not have the capability to process soft semantics.
As long as it will be used bivalent-based logical methods there will be
no progress in handling of ill-structured, uncertain and imprecise
information, frequently encountered in real world knowledge.
The forementioned initiatives do not consider sufficiently the
implicitly given non-precision and non-accuracy of real world scenarios
and applications.
Further it has to be observed that for the evaluation of developed
structures and environments only very specific test beds and use cases
are chosen, which provide salutary and convenient limitations in the
sense of a deformation of “real world” conditions to “special world”
conditions.

In this context I d like to give a pointer to the European stream around
Elie Sanchez (FCS-O -> Fuzzy Concept Set Ontologies, "Fuzzy Logic and
the Semantic Web") from Marseille and Umberto Straccia from Pisa ("Fuzzy
Description Logic for the Semantic Web"). They show up convincing
alternative methods and techniques out of the domain of soft-computing.

Further Remark: Bayesian Reasoning is not "always" stable and convergent
- or better it converges very "slowly" and sometimes not (depends on the
underlying BN). But Fuzzy inferencing over FCS-O provides well known and
approved techniques and methods - and guarantees a stable reasoning.

BR & HTH
  hjn

> If you are interested in some further reading along this topic, a superb
> book is "On Intelligence" by Jeff Hawkins. Jeff was the co-founder of
> Palm and has now founded a company called Numenta to work in this field.
> It is meant for non-technical audience and is a fantastic read for
> anyone remotely interested in this topic.

I wish a happy and eager studying.

> HTH,
> Shashi

HJ NERN INFRAWEBS (IST FP6-511723)