RE: Where are the semantics in the semantic Web?

From: Shi, Xuan <xshi@GEO.WVU.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:18:04 -0500
To: "'Joachim Peer '" <joachim.peer@unisg.ch>, "'jeff@inf.ed.ac.uk '" <jeff@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: "'Harry Halpin '" <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>, "'public-sws-ig@w3.org '" <public-sws-ig@w3.org>

When Tim Berners-Lee defined the semantic Web, the word "semantic" meant
"machine processable".  Now that Web services are designed for
"machine-processable", WSDL is criticized as not "semantic". The word
"semantic" in Semantic Web Services seems different from that in Semantic
Web?

If Tim Berners-Lee's definition is still effective, we can understand both
XML and RDF/OWL are machine-processible. Which way we should go? Still it's
an issue of agreement and standardization, otherwise, we have to continue
our debate. Especially according to Tim Berners-Lee's definition, WSDL is
machine-processible then why should we again add "semantics" onto such
machine-processible (thus "semantic") WSDL document? Or we are talking about
something different in the domains of SW and SWS?