Re: Where are the semantics in the semantic Web?

No system can be entirely self-describing, so what ultimately matters
are the set of axioms and the logic. When dealing with real world
systems the set of axioms is extremely large - common understandings. In
practical terms then, there is a logic that can be applied to a set of
assertions that are grounded in external agreements. Semantic
interoperability is a function of how these agreements are reached and
recorded and understood.

There is a "position paper" of a team looking at semantic
interoperability issues in the Marine sector, at:

http://www.iode.org/marinexml/files/MarineXML_Position_Paper_R4r0.pdf

The conclusion is that the usefulness of any semantics ultimately
derives from the governance process behind the assertions. Pragmatic
epistemology seems to have utility: to scale the solution we need
mechanisms for independence, but also the mechanisms to merge or map
between ontologies to avoid unecessary duplication of effort and
creation of artificial ambiguities.

Our next path to pursue is the feasibility of interoperation of the
semantic registries across governance domains. This would seem to
provide the machine-readable semantics required to exploit
relationships, whilst allowing the richness and variability of
alternative viewpoints for different semantics of use. My own feeling is
that a rich enough soup of practical definitions built from the bottom
up, with a top-down coherence through commonality of mechanism, would
eventually provide opportunities for stochastic or heuristic natural
language oriented approaches.

Regards
Rob Atkinson
Social Change Online