Re: OWL-S: simple proposal to evolve logic expressions

On May 20, 2005, at 2:29 AM, Daniel Elenius wrote:

>> Rules in SWRL are just material conditionals. They most certainly
>> "evaluate" to true or false. They may be inferred.
> Hmm, ok, I take that back then.
>
>>> In fact, it may be easier to just do AtomLists (if there's a single
>>> Atom, then we just have a list with one element).
>>

>> Prolly true. But if Preconditions are just formulae (rather than
>> restricted to conjunctions), there's no need to avoid imps.
>>
> I guess the only reason would be that the any OWL-S tools (not just
> editing tools, but especially execution engines/planners) would need to
> understand Imps, whereas if just AtomLists are allowed, things are
> somewhat easier. Imps make things undecidable, right?

Hmm. Well, my guess is that OWL-S is undecidable for many reasons :)
Making it OWL-Full (as removing quotation will do) might not *alone* do
it, but it's prolly bad.

>  (Whereas AtomLists
> (with instantiated parameters) correspond to ABox queries.)

Hmm. Don't know that that's decidable if you allow undistinguished
variables. Interesting question

> That may not
> be a reason to prohibit them though.

Yeah. A reason would be that such universal quantifications are just
weird as a precondition. The counter would be, "So they're weird! Who
cares? Let the chips fall!"

We certainly allow arbitrary KIF formulas.

Cheers,
Bijan.