Re: Web Rule Language - WRL vs SWRL

Jim Hendler wrote:

> At 12:04 +0200 6/22/05, Jos de Bruijn wrote:
> >
> >Dreer Michael WI wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>what is the relationship between WRL and SWRL?
> >
> >Hello Michael, others,
> >
> >With WRL we take an approach different from SWRL. We build on the
> >experience in
> >the Logic Programming and Deductive Database communities (and
> >partially other rules communities) and (syntactically) restrict
> >ourselves to Horn and add nonmonotonic negation, whereas SWRL stays
> >within a First-order framework and simply extends the expressiveness
> >of OWL DL. WRL extends a subset of OWL DL; this subset which falls in
> >the framework of standard Horn rules.
> >

> Sorry, but this cannot be right.  SWRL assumes closed world semantics
> and WRL assumes open world semantics.   Thus, we get completely
> different entailments in an OWL/RDF world than in a WRL one, so we
> are talking something very different than a subset relationship.  Ian
> Horrocks, Peter Patel-Schneider, and Bijan Parsia (with me as a
> kibbitzer) wrote a short paper about this available at [1]

**I believe that the mention of OWL-DL in the above message is a typo.**
The intent was DLP.

Regarding your paper, I wonder what notion of language extension are you using.
The one that I was taught as a child says:

L1 extends L0  iff  L0 \subseteq L1 and
                    for any pair of formulas f1,f2 in L0,
	       	    f1 |= f2 in L0 if and only if f1 |= f2 in L1.

Since neither DLP not RDF has negative queries, the statement about
language extension holds for them. Of course, in this case we should use
a 1-1 homomorphism to inject L0 into L1, because DLP/RDF have different
syntax from WRL.

> Let me be clear, I'm all for Web (and Sem Web) rules languages, but
> if it isn't open-world, I don't see how it can be Sem Web, since it
> violates the base assumption on which all of RDF, RDFS, and OWL sit.
> This is easily fixable, and at the Rules workshop the idea of a
> "Scoped Negation as Failure" was developed to handle this -- I'd love
> to see WRL (and SWRL) extended to have a SNAF mechanism, because then
> we don't violate the basic principles of the Web architecture and the
> Semantic Web, but we should be precise - two things with very
> different Semantics and entailments cannot be referred to as subsets
> of each other.

I would like to mention here that the notion of scoped negation was *NOT*
developed at that workshop. It existed before, and I don't know who first
coined it (must have been 10 years or so). This type of negation is even
implemented in some systems, like FLORA-2.  In that particular system it
exists since the end of 2000.

	--michael