Re: Web Rule Language - WRL vs SWRL

Dreer Michael WI wrote:

>Hello,
>
>what is the relationship between WRL and SWRL?

Hello Michael, others,

With WRL we take an approach different from SWRL. We build on the
experience in
the Logic Programming and Deductive Database communities (and
partially other rules communities) and (syntactically) restrict
ourselves to Horn and add nonmonotonic negation, whereas SWRL stays
within a First-order framework and simply extends the expressiveness
of OWL DL. WRL extends a subset of OWL DL; this subset which falls in
the framework of standard Horn rules.

Best, Jos

>Thanks in advance
>
>Michael Dreer
>

> Steve Ross-Talbot wrote:
>
> >>Out of curiosity and also business pragmatics what is the relationship
> >>between WRL and RuleML?
>

> RuleML provides an extensive lattice of sublanguages ranging from
> production rules to regular LP rules to First-Order Logic, es well as
> sublanguages with such features as slotted syntax, meta-programming, and
> courteous logic programming.
>
> WRL makes a choice to use include particular features in the language.
> It turns out that these features correspond to certain RuleML
> sublanguages to a great extent. Therefore, RuleML can be used for the
> XML serialization of a large part of the language.
>
> The following document describes the (RuleML and other) schemas used for
> the XML serialization of WRL:
>
> http://www.wsmo.org/wsml/wrl/wrl-xmlschemas.html
>
> More details on the XML serialization of WRL can be found at:
>
> http://www.wsmo.org/wsml/wrl/wrl.html#cha:wrl-xml
>
> I hope this clarifies the issue.
>

> Best, Jos
>

> >>Cheers
> >>
> >>Steve T
> >>
> >>On 21 Jun 2005, at 08:28, Jos de Bruijn wrote:
> >>
> >>Dear all,
> >>
> >>On behalf of WSML, AIFB and NRCC I am pleased to announce:
> >>
> >>The Web Rule Language WRL - version 1.0:
> >>
> >>http://www.wsmo.org/wsml/wrl/
> >>

> >>WRL is a rule language for the Web and the Semantic Web and was
> >>heavily influenced by the Web Service Modeling Language WSML
> >>(http://www.wsmo.org/wsml/wsml-syntax).
> >>

> >>Best regards,
> >>
> >>Jos de Bruijn
> >>

> --
> Jos de Bruijn, http://www.uibk.ac.at/~c703239/
> +43 512 507 6475 jos.debruijn@deri.org
>
> DERI http://www.deri.org/
>
> Only two things are infinite, the universe and
> human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
> former.
> -- Albert Einstein

- --