Re: The use of the parameterValue property

Evren Sirin wrote:

> Daniel Elenius wrote:
>

>> I brought this up a while ago on this list, and no-one objected to
>> deprecating this property, since we have valueData to do the job.
>> parameterValue is a leftover from earlier incarnations of OWL-S.
>

> I probably missed that message because I would object deprecating
> parameterValue. It is possible to use valueData instead of
> parameterValue but it is not always straight-forward because valueData
> can only be used with Perform construct whereas parameterValue can
> directly be attached to a process definition. The use case is this
> (and I'm not making up this case we actually have running examples
> similar to this one):
>
> Suppose there is a WSDL service with two inputs A and B and I want to
> define an AtomicProcess grounded in this service. But suppose that for
> my application the input B will always be some constant value. It is
> very easy to do this using parameterValue, define AtomicProcess P, two
> inputs X and Y (mapped to A and B respectively) and attach a
> parameterValue to Y to specify the constant value. If we want to do
> this using valueData then I have to define AtomicProcess P1 (similar
> to P above but no parameterValue), then define CompositeProcess P2
> that is a sequence of only one Perform (performing P1) and its input
> binding will specify the constant value. As you can see the second way
> is harder to do and it is nice to have a compact version of this
> functionality.

You don't need a Sequence if all you have is a single Perform, but I
grant that it is a little bit more work to use valueData. I'm not sure
it's a good idea to have these multiple ways to do the same thing. If we
do, we need to define what happens if there is both a valueData and a
parameterValue, and they conflict. In my view, having parameterValue
makes things *more* complicated if you look at the big picture.

Best,
/Daniel