Re: Doubts about the variables in the process model of OWL-S 1.1

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:33:02 -0500, Evren Sirin <evren@cs.umd.edu> wrote:
> Manshan Lin wrote:
>
> >hi,
> >
> >Here are some questions :
> >(1)
> >What do the variables defined by "hasLocal" and "hasResultVar"
> >mean? Existentially qualified variable?
> >

> Yes. Difference is Local's are scoped to whole process definition (bound
> in the precondition, used anywhere in the process definition) whereas
> ResultVar's are scoped to the result definition only (bound in the
> result condition, used in output and effect descriptions).
>
> >(2)
> >The following is from congo example's process model when defining
> >the atomic process "LocateBook":
> ><process:inCondition>
> > <expr:SWRL-Condition rdf:ID="BookOutOfStock">
> >  <expr:expressionBody rdf:parseType="Literal">
> >    <swrlx:AtomList>
> >      <rdf:first>
> >        <swrlx:DatavaluedPropertyAtom>
> >          <swrlx:propertyPredicate
> >rdf:resource="http://www.daml.org/services/owl-s/1.1/ProfileHierarchy.owl#title"
> >/>
> >          <swrlx:argument1>
> >            <swrlx:Variable rdf:ID="#aBook" />
> >          </swrlx:argument1>
> >          <swrlx:argument2 rdf:resource="#LocateBookBookName" />
> >        </swrlx:DatavaluedPropertyAtom>
> >      </rdf:first>
> >      <rdf:rest>
> >        <swrlx:AtomList>
> >          <rdf:first>
> >            <swrlx:ClassAtom>
> >              <swrlx:classPredicate rdf:resource="#OutOfStockBook" />
> >                <swrlx:argument1 rdf:resource="#aBook" />
> >            </swrlx:ClassAtom>
> >          </rdf:first>
> >          <rdf:rest
> >rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#nil" />
> >        </swrlx:AtomList>
> >      </rdf:rest>
> >    </swrlx:AtomList>
> >  </expr:expressionBody>
> > </expr:SWRL-Condition>
> ></process:inCondition>
> >
> >What does the variable "#aBook" mean?  Universally qualified variable?
> >

> No, it is an existentially quantified variable. The condition says that
> there exists a book with the given name and it is not in the stock.

This example puzzles me. In pratical, there are situations when several
different books share the same bookname: (1) they have the same content
but their prices are different because of the quality of publication; (2)
they have different content yet their names are accidently the same. If
the user only provide the bookname information, we must state that all
books with the bookname are out of stock in this example.

One more question: How to define universally qualified variable in the result.
Considering an information service operation:
getAllPersonsInTheRoom(in ?room:#Room, out ?persons:#PersonsCollection)
It returns all the persons in the room. How to represent this
operation's result
in OWL-S 1.1? How to declare the fact that
all ?x ( in(?room,?x)<-> member(?x,?persons) )
in the operation.
How can I know this service only returns the information about the persons
in the room, and it do not make the members of ?persons in the room although
some of them are out of the room before?

--
Best regards!

Manshan Lin (林满山)
Email: lmshill@hotmail.com;lmshill@gmail.com;lms-hill@21cn.com
Affiliation: School of Computer Science and Engineering, the South
China University of Technology
Phone: (+86)13711287277
2005-01-06
            \ "