Re: Representation of SWRL expressions in OWL-S

On Feb 4, 2005, at 1:35 AM, Evren Sirin wrote:

> Daniel Elenius wrote:
[snip]

> I have two concerns about this format:
>>
>> 1) Aren't all SWRL expressions supposed to be instances of the
>> http://www.daml.org/rules/proposal/swrl.owl#Imp class?
>
> No, a SWRL expression body is supposed to be an AtomList which is
> simply the conjunction of atoms in the list.

By design.

>> I know that this was the case in an intermediate
>> version of OWL-S, but this version does not seem to be available
>> anymore. Expressions were rules with
>> empty heads (bodies?).
>
> I think at some point it was considered to use rules with empty
> bodies. Then the expression would be written as the head of the rule.
> SWRL defines empty body to be trivially true so the implication is
> true whenever the head is true. But using rules in this way would be
> more confusing so it was decided to use AtomList's directly.

It's not just confusing, it's the wrong semantics, right? Precondtions
*aren't* always true!

>> 2) If this is not the case, i.e. we can use constructs from SWRL as
>> we feel like it,
>
> No, we can not.
[snip]

Definitely not. The intention was that you'd use SWRL constructs in the
relevant *ontologies*. So *outside* and expression, you can use SWRL
rules as you see fit.

Cheers,
Bijan.