Re: ThisPerform and TheParentPerform special-purpose Perform's instances

From: David Martin <martin@AI.SRI.COM>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:20:40 -0700
To: elena cusenza <elena_cusenza@hotmail.com>
CC: public-sws-ig@w3.org

elena cusenza wrote:

> Hi!
>  I'm using your owl-s 1.1beta definitions ontologies, I think there is a
> constraint violation on the Perform's instances: ThisPerform and
> TheParentPerform. (detected using an owl validator)
> Perform definition make a cardinality restriction over "process"
> property (cardinality=1). Anyway you don't follow this constraint on
> instances specifications.

It's a valid observation.  We discussed this in the OWl-S Coalition.
The prevailing view (at least in that discussion) is that it's OK to
omit the "process" property from the declarations of ThisPerform and
TheParentPerform.  For one thing, it is still legal OWL.  The
restriction asserts that each of those instances has a relationship to
some process, but it does not mandate that the relationship must be
specified.  This is one of the subtleties of OWL (which some may well
argue is counter-intuitive).  Hopefully, the validator is reporting this
as a warning rather than an error.

In any case, there is still room for further discussion about this.

Regards,
David Martin