Overlap between OWL-S and WSDL

From: Robert Mark Bram <relaxedrob@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 15:56:08 +1000
To: public-sws-ig@w3.org

Hi All,

I am interested in creating my own Ontology using OWL-S for an application
involving distributed multimedia with QoS.

My question involves the overlap between OWL-S and WSDL. I read this from
the article "OWL-S: Semantic Markup for Web Services":

As indicated by Figure 3, the two languages do overlap in the area of
providing for the specification of what WSDL calls ``abstract types'',
which in turn are used to characterize the inputs and outputs of services.
WSDL, by default, specifies abstract types using XML Schema, whereas OWL-S
allows for the definition of abstract types as (description logic-based)
OWL classes 5.

Does this mean that chunks of OWL-S defining atomic processes and
inputs/outputs can be directly re-used as the WSDL operations and messages?

Thanks for any advice!

Robert Mark Bram
B.Comp.(Systems Development/Business Systems)
Doctor of Philosophy Student

School of Network Computing
Faculty of Information Technology
Monash University