Re: Relation between OWL and OWL-S

Daniela,

Daniela CLARO wrote:

>Hi all,
> I would like to know what is actually the relation between OWL-S and OWL?

This is quite a difficult question.  The problem is that while OWL-S is
based on OWL,  really much of its semantics is outside OWL.  For
example, the execution semantics for the OWL-S Process Model are defined
in logics that are beyond OWL and there are papers that point out
problems at using OWL inference engines to do discovery using the OWL-S
profile.

>How do I represent this relation in OWL-S?
>I will be more clear...for example, suppose that I have a service called
>AirplaneCompany that searches for a ticket beased on some input parameters
>and it belongs to a service composition called Travel.
>
>- How can I do automatic discovery in this case? I've read that the
>automatic discovery in OWL-S is based on its input and outputs parameters,
>so we can make a distinction between the services.

 I am not quite sure what is your question here

1. what do you mean when you say that "AirplaneCompany ... belongs to a
service composition called Travel"?    To be discoverable
AirplaneCompany should be exposed as a service on its own.  The fact
that it is also used in a composition called Travel is meaningless.

2.  The idea of using inputs and outputs during discovery was an initial
proposal toward a discovery mechanism for OWL-S that was put forward by
the CMU group.  This is not the only way to do discovery with OWL-S,
nor it has been prescribed by the OWL-S coalition.

>But actually, how can I say that my AirplaneCompany service is a class in
>OWL model? Where Can I put this relation in OWL-S? And also, where can I say
>that AirplaneCompany is the same service that AircraftCompany, as we do in
>OWL using equivalenceClass like:
>
><owl:Class rdf:ID="Aircraft">
>    <owl:equivalentClass rdf:resource="urn:eg#AirPlane"/>
>
>These relations exist? Or in OWL-S we can not say that?

Since OWL-S is based on OWL, you can always use owl:equivalentClass or
any other OWL construct.  In addition, the OWL-S discovery mechanisms
may be able to recognize that similarity automatically without
explicitly stating it.

--- Massimo

ps:

On a fun linguistic note... ;-)

Drew McDermott wrote:

>By the way, the banks you sit on are only banks in
>Italian;

Nope, benches in Italian are "panche" and banks (as financial
institutions) are "banche": very different!

> in English they are "benches," which comes from the Italian,
>but conveniently changed spelling, thus eliminating the confusion.

Really?  thousands of linguists spent their entire carrier trying to
figure out how to solve this confusion.

>compensate, the earthen walls of rivers are called "banks," so if we
>have a web service selling tours of river margins, the confusion is
>restored.

of course in Italian river banks are "argini" so you would not have an
ambiguity either ;-)