Re: OWL-S version 1.1 now available

Ian Dickinson wrote:

> Daniel Elenius wrote:
>
>> Of course, but that happens all over the place in OWL-S. An OWL-S
>> document is not much use without an OWL-S-aware processor. Looking
>> only at the RDF level, there is also no difference between Split,
>> Split+Join, Choice, and Any-Order, except their URIs. So, using the
>> same reasoning, would you want to turn them all into one class?
>
> I didn't say turn them into one class.  I suggested, and it's *just a
> suggestion* that one could be made a sub-class of the other, wlog.
>
>> So, how would you do it?
>
> Well, in a sense that's not up to me. I'm just giving you some
> feedback from someone not involved in the day-to-day design and
> development of the standard.  The OWL-S committee has range of
> possible, valid, responses to such feedback, a range which includes,
> among others, ignoring it.
>
> Fwiw, I guess I was thinking that cleanly separating utility
> encodings, like "this is a closed bag", "this is a closed list" into
> one package, and then re-using those in the main profile would
> potentially make life easier for developers (particularly OWL-S tool
> developers).
>
> For example (again *just a suggestion*), using N3 for compactness and
> assuming a namespace "ds" for owl-s data-structures:
>
> ds:List a owl:Class .
> ds:first a own:ObjectProperty
>          ; rdfs:domain ds:List .
> ds:rest a owl:ObjectProperty
>         ; rdfs:domain ds:List
>         ; rdfs:range ds:List .
> ds:nil a ds:List .
>
> ds:ClosedBag a owl:Class
>              ; rdfs:subClassOf ds:List .

And also

ds:ClosedList a owl:Class
             ; rdfs:subClassOf ds:List .

right?

> service:ConrolConstructs

Do you mean service:ControlConstruct (i.e. the same as in the
allValuesFrom restriction below)? Or service:ControlConstructs (plural,
i.e. something different)? In any case, I guess it should be the process
prefix, but that's a minor point.

>     a owl:Class
>     ; rdfs:subClassOf ds:ClosedBag
>     ; rdfs:subClassOf
>          [ a owl:Restriction
>            ; owl:onProperty ds:first
>            ; owl:allValuesFrom service:ControlConstruct
>          ]
>     .

I don't quite see how you want to use this class. Is it a superclass of
all the control construct classes? Or does it replace the
ControlConstructBag and ControlConstructList classes as the range of the
process:components property? If so, it still looks like you would need
two different classes to separate between the ordered and unordered
cases, right?