Deploying an OWL ontology via an Web Services interface

From: Rob Atkinson <rob@socialchange.net.au>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:11:56 +1000
To: public-sws-ig@w3.org

Hi

Apologies if there is an obvious answer to this, but I havent been able
to locate it via browsing, searching or asking yet: is there a working
group, standard, best practice or even published proprietary API for
deploying an ontology via Web Services.

I am interested in the case of a community managed ontology, where
working groups can be delegated to maintain parts of the ontology, all
via a single web accessible repository. Applications would be able to
search this repository as required.

I would like the ability to:
1) insert, update or delete classes
2) find references that directly depend on a class
3) query
4) ideally, insert an entire OWL ontology including relationships to
pre-existing classes...
5) ... which implies having a stable URI to reference items within the
deployed ontology in the first place

Maybe there is no API that makes sense, and its always only possible to
think about publishing a single file, and using xlink to try to glue it
all together - in which case there should be some serious thought
somewhere about the query mechanisms you would use to perform typical
ontology traversals. I'd be happy with a registry-friendly model where
the transactions can be defined to be honest.

Can anyone point me to where such deployment issues are being worked out?

Regards
Rob Atkinson