Re: [OWL-S] Negative effects/delete lists

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:33:15 -0500
Cc: Katia Sycara <katia@cs.cmu.edu>, public-sws-ig@w3.org
To: Sheila McIlraith <sheila@cs.toronto.edu>

On Mar 28, 2004, at 10:23 PM, Sheila McIlraith wrote:

> Hi Bijan,
>
> I wonder if we can write a tool to ensure that negative effects coding
> rules are not violated?

I believe so.

>  I suspect it's doable, though computationally
> intensive.

Is it anything more than checking for each effect literal whether its
negation is entailed by the KB?

Assuming that there aren't *too* many effects and the KB is reasonable,
it shouldn't be that bad at all. I would guess somewhat better than
classifying the KB.

(Of course, there could be pathological KBs, but that's a given in this
space.)

Evren Sirin and I discussed this issue a couple of months ago as part
of integrating a DL reasoner (Pellet) with the SHOP2 planner. It seemed
feasible.

Hmm. Some nasty thoughts occured to me. Will have to consider further.

All this is, of course, highly dependent on the logic you are using for
your PEs and KB.

> Regarding what to write in the release. I think a short warning
> statement followed by details (problem statement, example, general
> solution, and ontology writing tips) would be suitable.
> Here's the skeleton.  Sorry it isn't filled in.  It's just
> a straw proposal.
[snip]

But actually useful. I'll try fleshing it out. Thanks.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.