Re: Semantic Web Services Architecture Committee Requirements Document

At 01:24 PM 6/3/2004, Mark Baker wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I think it would be useful to see a word about what "Semantic Web
>services" can do for us that the Semantic Web can't; their raison
>d'etre, if you will.
Mark,
Thanks for your quick response.
I take your point on the 'raison d'etre' not being emphasized, but don't
think a *comparison* with Semantic Web is
appropriate, as we are explicitly trying to build on and apply semantic web
capabilities and address semantic web
architectural issuesthat impact our ability to increase the
interoperability of
services -- in effect taking on one of the challenges that was a 'raison
d'etre' for the semantic web itself.

>Related to that, it concerns me that there's no reference to the TAG's
>"Architecture of the World Wide Web, First Edition" document[1].  Are
>the recommendations of that document not something that the group feels
>should constrain its work?

As the web architecture influences the design of the semantic web, so are
we influenced by it. However, in this document
we were several layers of abstraction above these issues.  As we expand the
scope of this document, I see no problem referencing it.
Thanks,
Mark Burstein

>Thanks.
>
>  [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/
>
>Mark.
>
>On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:28:06AM -0400, Mark Burstein wrote:
> >
> > The Architecture Committee of the Semantic Web Services Initiative (SWSI)
> > has spent the last few
> > months putting together an overview of the functional requirements that a
> > comprehensive approach to architectures for semantic web services should
> > include.  While different communities will need more or
> > less of some of the features covered, we felt it was worthwhile to try to
> > take a longer term view in this exercise.
> >
> > The document is available for review and comment from the SWSA committee
> > home page at
> > http://www.daml.org/services/swsa/
> >
> > The document itself is located at
> >
> > http://www.daml.org/services/swsa/swsa-requirements.html
> >
> > Comments can be sent to public-sws-ig or to me personally at the address
> > below.
>
>--
>Mark Baker.   Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.        http://www.markbaker.ca

* Dr. Mark H. Burstein <burstein@bbn.com>
* Director, Human Centered Systems Group
* BBN Technologies
* 10 Moulton Street
* Cambridge, MA 02138
*