RE: Composition as planning

Thanks for your replies.

HTN planners seem to fit nicely in the WS
composition scenario since decomposition of
complex services will be required to eventually
incorporate its primitive task into a new complex
service. Is it always the case that a complex
service be fully decomposed into its primitive
components? It could be the case that a complex
service be included into a yet more complex one
without there being the need for decomposition.
Right? How is this handled in HTN planning?

I found some papers that make use of the analogy
of Web services as STRIPS operators [1,2]. At
least as related to Web services with
preconditions and effects such analogy still seems
to hold. Also in the future work of [2] there is a
mention of a partial order planner, this seems
also to fit the requirements since a pop planner
has to plan with incomplete knowledge. Am I on the
right track or am I missing something?

I appreciate that there is work in progress over
such issues, but can someone shed some more light
on the issues relating the different planning
techniques:  HTN, partial order,
estimated-regression planning etc with Web
services composition?

Thanks again

Charlie

[1] Drew McDermott: Estimated regression planning
for interactions with Web services:
http://www.ime.usp.br/~kvd/Otros/plannerweb.pdf
[2] Mithun Sheshagiri + Finin + deJardins: A
Planner for composing Services Described in
DAML-S:
http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~finin//papers/icaps03.pdf