Re: Abstract Core Ontology for SWSL Processes

Austin Tate wrote:

> At 05:16 PM 16/01/2004 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>
>>> I have argued that SWSL should simply allow a process description to
>>> be made up of:
>>>
>>> a) a set of activities to be performed, each of which are considered
>>> to have a begin and end time point
>>

>> Suggestion: each process occupies (? lasts for, endures during, takes)
>> a time-interval, and intervals have begin and end timepoints (and
>> indeed are defined by them, uniquely.) Intervals are handy things to
>> have in the ontology anyway.
>
> Agreed... and that is what I meant. An activity always is associated
> with a time interval defined as the begin time point of the interval and
> the end time point of the interval. ***
>
> ... snip ...

Pat, Austin, Jos, and others who have contributed to this thread --

In the OWL-S discussions, we fairly often ask ourselves questions like:
   "What are the reasoning requirements for OWL-S; that is, what kinds of questions
about an OWL-S service would you like a reasoner to answer?"
and
    "What reasoning will this (some particular) representation or style of
representation support?"

Unfortunately, we rarely seem to find the time to answer these questions in a
thoughtful manner :-(.

But since you guys are clearly thoughtful, and we have this thread about temporal
representations, I'd like to put it to you --

Will the representation of the temporal aspects of services get used for practical
purposes on the Semantic Web?  If so, what kinds of questions will these
representations be used to answer?  What are the most important questions for them
to be able to answer?  Are there any systems in widespread use that apply temporal
reasoning to solve practical problems (and which might have some relevance for SW
services)?

Note, again, I'm interested to know about uses **for practical purposes**, in "the
real world".  Your thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Regards,
David