Re: Planning under Description Logic ?--an obstacle towards WSAC

Juergen Zimmer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've read your paper as well and I've got a few questions and comments.
>
>> http://www.mindswap.org/papers/SWS-ISWC04.pdf
>>

> questions:
> 1) Is your modified Jshop planner available for research purposes?

We haven't made a public release of the system mainly because we want to
do the integration with JSHOP2 which has the same features as SHOP2.
This has been delayed for a long time due to the delays in the release
of JSHOP2 and other constraints on my schedule. I've now started to work
on implementing the system with JSHOP2 and generic Jena reasoner
interface (so you can connect Pellet or DIG reasoners such as Racer).

> 2) Can it enumerate all possible plans (combinations of services)?

You can set the options to return frst plan or return all plans. Is this
what you are asking?

> 3) How to you handle conditioned outputs and effects that are
> introduced with Results in OWL-S 1.1?

SHOP2 can express conditional effects. Outputs are expressed as
knowledge effects so conditional outputs would be represented as
conditional effects but we haven't yet worked on this issue.

> 4) I'm not an expert in HTN planning but it seems to me that without
> any methods (and only operators)
>   it wouldn't do anything, or am I wrong?

Well, you are not completely wrong. But you can always write one generic
HTN method that tries every operator in the domain. This would reduce
the planning problem to simple forward search and theoretically you
would find the plan if one exists. Practically, this approach would fail
really bad and wouldn't scale to real world problems.

> I have the impression that the methods tell you the basic composition
> steps that    can occur in your overall plan/composition.

> comments:
> 1) The problems you mention at the end of sec 3.3. reminded me of
> truth-maintenance systems
>    that have been studied in AI for a while.

You are right that there is a resemblance. The problem is OWL DL, i.e.
Description Logic SHION(D), is very expressive and DL reasoners can
handle this expressivity with very optimized tableau algorithms. It is
hard to figure out how truth maintenance data can be stored and updated
without making the system impractical. One other (and even harder)
problem to solve is the cases where deleting either assertion A or
assertion B will be enough for the negative effect. How and why the
reasoner should choose one assertion over the other? It is not clear if
we would like to automate this process.

> 2) Analogously, the end of sec 4 reminded me of constraint solving
> where people deal with networks of
>    constraint variables and restrictions. Maybe some of their methods
> would be applicable to your problem.
>
> minor comments:
> Sorry, I don't want to be a nitpicker but I'd like to help improve
> your publication (might be too late though).

It is late because the workshop proceedings have alreayd been published.
The version available on our web site is not the camera-ready version
and the typos you mentioned were already fixed. I'll update the online
version with the latest camera-ready version.

Thanks,
Evren