Re: Planning under Description Logic ?--an obstacle towards WSAC

On Dec 2, 2004, at 10:39 AM, Manshan Lin wrote:

> hi all,
> I've just read all the discussion about applying AI planning technique
> to SWS.
> I notice that most traditional planning algorithm are based on first
> order logic, which is based on close-world assumption.

Er...really? First order....closed-world....BOOM! ;)

> And I also
> notice that in order
> to achieve true automatic composition of web service, we must tackle
> the problem of planning under description logic,

OWL DL is just a fragment for first order logic.

>  which is based on
> open-world assumption.

Now that is true.

> The question is :
> When using DL to describe world state, what adaptions should
> traditional AI planning techniques make?

Let me point you our paper on Planning for Web Services:
	http://www.mindswap.org/papers/SWS-ISWC04.pdf

It describes our attempt to use OWL as the world state represenation
language of the SHOP planner.

> For example,
> TBOX: EffectA = intersectionOf(EffectB,EffectC)
> ABOX: a individual EffectA

Er...So you're talking owl full here? With the same thing both a class
and a individual?

> Then we can choose an operation that achieves EffectA or we can choose
> two operations (one achieves EffectB and the other achieves EffectC).

I don't udnerstand.

> It's a little like adding some common rules
> (in this case EffectB(x) and EffectC(x)->EffectA(x))
> to traditional planning domain.

I presume you're talking about secondary effects? yeah, they're a
problem :)

> When EffectB and EffectC are not
> atomic concepts, the situation becomes more complex. How to handle
> this kind of things in planning algorithms?

Well, I won't repeat our paper, but I will add that the problem is
*much* trickier when your *domain* may have been gathered from
disparate sources. It's hard to forbid use of derived literals in that
case (IMHO).

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.