RE: Effects in OWL-S

Here's another way of thinking about this - essentially from the situation
calculus. An effect describes things that are true _because_ of an action,
whereas, a postcondition describes things that are true _following_ an
action.

Not everything that is true following an action is true because of it. A
small example : If I add item A to my shopping trolley, then the effect is
that "item A is in my trolley". If I then add item B to my trolley, then the
effect is that "item B is in my trolley". Now, it's reasonable to assume
that "item A is in my trolley" remains true because nothing I've done claims
to effect the truth of it. So given that "item A is in my trolley" is a
precondition of the "add item to trolley" action then "item A is in my
trolley" is a reasonable post-condition, but not an effect. A lot of good
work has gone into working out what post-conditions are reasonable given the
effects (see the 'frame problem').

Steve