Re: [OWL-S] new IOPE example #1

Following up on my earlier msg, I feel even more inclined now to say
that it should be perfectly OK to have an effect that just characterizes
the relationship between the input(s) and the output(s), as in the "Add"
example.  We've often spoken of an "effect" as "a statement that's
guaranteed to be true upon successful completion of the service".
That's the spirit in which the "Add" effect says simply

   Add_Out will be the sum of Add_In1 and Add_In2

(where "sum" is a relationship (property) defined in some other ontology
having to do with arithmetic).

It's certainly reasonable to say that this statement "is guaranteed to
be true upon successful completion of the service".

I understand that many have the additional intuitions that

1) an "effect" is something that is caused by, or at least results from,
the operation of the service

2) an "effect" changes the world

(Note: I'd say (1) is true of the "Add" effect, but not (2).)

My view on this is that defining clearly what is meant by (1) and (2)
poses considerable added challenges and potential for confusion, and
there's no significant practical gain from doing so.  And ruling out
simple examples like the "Add" effect eliminates a lot of useful service
characterizations.

Maybe we should have been calling this "postcondition" all along,
instead of "effect".

- David