Re: Web Services versus Semantic Web Services.

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Stephane Fellah wrote:

> I truly believe that web services (real) interoperability can only
> be reached only if web services are described semantically.

Throwing bigger specifications and bigger repositories at the problem
won't really help. So I agree that going the semantic web way might
offer a nice alternative.

> I favor a more loosy coupled architecture, based on a minimal
> design, that is not based on structure and syntax (such as XML
> Schema) but rather on semantic information exchange (RDF/OWL).

Regarding web services themselves also a desire to be more minimal can
be seen. A lot of people are advocating the "REST" style of web
services (just using http for sending messages back and forth) over
the SOAP style (bigger toolkits, more specifications).

I think going a more minimal route regarding schemas (semantic data)
combines very well with a more minimal approach regarding transport
(plain http). That's a real semantic web to me.

I suspect, though, that you can use rdf/owl to good effect in
describing and tying together the SOAP kind, too.

greetings,

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees - reinout@vanrees.org