Re: Broken Layering (was Re: What protocols are in scope?)

From: Geoff Arnold <Geoff.Arnold@Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:51:52 -0500
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: public-sws-ig@w3.org, Paul Denning <pauld@mitre.org>

On Nov 20, 2003, at 12:14 PM, Mark Baker wrote:

> I don't know what Geoff had in mind, but I've heard this complaint a
> few times in reference to the HTTP binding using HTTP error codes to
> communicate SOAP faults.  IMO, that's a feature, not a bug, as one
> couldn't use SOAP RESTfully with HTTP without such a relationship
> between SOAP and HTTP (i.e. where SOAP is viewed as an HTTP extension,
> rather than a layer)

I'm more concerned about SOAP over non-HTTP messaging schemes,
particularly
MOMs. Just to make your head hurt, consider the case of multiple SOAP
intermediaries where the complete path may involve HTTP and non-HTTP
hops.
Today MOM vendors use proprietary encodings to fake an HTTP-like
view at each end. That won't do for standards, though. DIME may be
dead, but the need still exists.