Re: Cross-ontologies reasoning

On Dec 26, 2003, at 1205, Jim Hendler wrote:

> Drew,. I agree completely if we use your definition of
> ontology-merging.  Partial mappings have a greater
> success (particularly allowing heuristic mechanisms), and of course
> there's no reason we can't have some human in the loop.  Also, none of
> the literature I know allows instances to be mapped against multiple
> ontologies, which is a new idea that occurs easily on the Semantic
> Web, and which opens many opportunities for new research.
>  So I guess I'm kidding myself
>  -JH

Hey, Jim...

I don't often post to this group but this discussion is near to my
heart - well,
at least to my research interests.  I think the answer depends not so
much on the
ontologies, but on the systems that advertise those ontologies as a
description
of what they "know about".  Your prescription would be fine if all you
want to
do is content management.  There, close is good enough.  Close is not
good enough
for many database integration applications, where much could hinge on
the
correctness of the mapping (e.g., a factory floor control application).
  Drew
is likely to be correct that such mappings will be hard to come by
automatically,
but, just like what kind of "ontology" you need depends on what you
want to do
with it, so it is with what kind of mappings you need.  Bottom line is
I don't
think you're kidding yourself so long as you stick to (vary)
fault-tolerant
applications.

Question: What does it mean "[to map] instances against multiple
ontologies"?

   .bill

--
Bill Andersen (andersen@ontologyworks.com)