Re: Cross-ontologies reasoning

From: Drew McDermott <drew.mcdermott@yale.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:16:42 -0500 (EST)
To: public-sws-ig@w3.org, www-rdf-logic@w3.org

   [Jim Hendler]
   I do think there are some nice doctoral theses to be done (and I'm
   hiring students to do them) in automating more of the mapping (human
   provides partial map, system extends it) within the sorts of mappings
   that OWL allows, but doing this by humans, using ontology tools, is
   presently well within the state of the practice and easy to do ....

This I agree with.  The point is that once humans have figured out how
two ontologies overlap, it isn't that hard to formalize the
translation.  Automated tools can certainly help, and we've been
developing some of them.

--
                                   -- Drew McDermott
                                      Yale Computer Science Department