Re: [OWL-S] Who does what?

From: Austin Tate <a.tate@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:35:44 +0000
To: David Martin <martin@ai.sri.com>
Cc: public-sws-ig@w3.org

At 22:17 17/12/2003 -0800, David Martin wrote:
>Yes, I understand and am sympathetic to this general approach.
>
>But I don't think it's really any different than what I had in mind when I
>wrote (1) above.  After all, an OWL property instance with a value can be
>thought of as a key=value pair, and OWL certainly provides a general,
>extendable framework.  Further, I am certainly not advocating "lots" of
>attributes; just the minimum number needed to get the job done. Finally, I
>don't see that "perform activity actor" is any less "specialized" than the
>OWL-S "participant" property, or any other property we may find that we
>need to clarify "who does what".

I agree, its very similar... but there is a point to having ONE language
independent conceptual underpinning... that of a set of activities that are
constrained in arbitrary and extendible ways... it can be seen as providing
a description of the space of legitimate behaviours without having a
separate interpretation for each attribute of an object in a specific
language.  But we can certainly then map "common" constraints and
properties onto predefined attributes to get back all of what we want from
OWL-S, etc.