 From: Ugo Corda
 Sent: Tue 12/2/2003 6:07 PM
 To: public-sws-ig@w3.org
 Subject: Re: UDDI and semantics: CMU OWL-S/UDDI Mapping

 > Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 11:48:06 -0800
 > From: Jeff Lansing <jeff@polexis.com>
 > To: public-sws-ig@w3.org
 > Subject: Re: UDDI and semantics: CMU OWL-S/UDDI Mapping
 >

 > Massimo Paolucci wrote:
 >

 >> Ooops,  I sent the message to early,
 >> Anyway all I want to say is that depending on what the UDDI
folks what
 >> to achieve OWL may help by adding a richer representation and
the
 >> logic inference that comes with it.  In general, I think that
the
 >> search facilities and the functions that allow users to
retrieve Web
 >> services would benefit from  OWL.
 >
 > Yes, but how would that work?
 >
 > Given that UDDI is not going to do reasoning, and given that
it is
 > already possible to register taxonomies (including OWL
ontologies) to
 > associate services with categories (including with the
entities and the
 > properties in an OWL ontology), and to find the services for a
category
 > or the categories for a service, what more is there?
 >
 > Or rather, what other benefit could there possibly be?
 >
 > Jeff

 Yes, that's the question I am asking myself.

 Let me try to turn around my original question and see if we can
get a better understanding of the issue. The paper "Importing the
Semantic Web in UDDI" describes the mapping of the DAML-S Profile to
UDDI data structures. From the diagram in Fig. 5, it seems that most of
the Profile information is simply mapped to existing UDDI structures, so
that what is already available in UDDI is sufficient for a faithful
mapping.

 So a question could be: are there other elements of the DAML-S
Profile (not shown in that picture) that currently do not easily map and
that would benefit from the creation of new data structures in UDDI?
Alternatively, is it useful to come up with a more complex Profile that,
while currently difficult to map, would easily map with the addition of
new data structures to UDDI and would provide more reasoning power?

 Ugo