Re: UDDI and semantics: CMU OWL-S/UDDI Mapping

From: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:25:45 -0800
To: <public-sws-ig@w3.org>
Hi Massimo,

> What we are trying to do at CMU (and in general with OWL-S) is to
> propose a way to add explicit semantic knowledge which can improve the
> languages and the tools that already exist.   This is basically the
> reason why we got into the trouble of basing the DAML-S matchmaker on
> top of UDDI and why OWL-S is based on WSDL.

As you mention above, and as it is explained in details in the research papers you mentioned before, you guys are taking the approach of building a front-end to UDDI, and do all the information mapping based on existing UDDI data structures. In particular, you don't seem to introduce any explicit RDF or OWL information in the repository.

Did you find this front-end approach sufficient? Or do you think that additions to the existing UDDI data structures intended to directly support RDF/OWL information would bring substantial benefits?

Thank you,
Ugo