Abstract for Semantic Web and Life Sciences meeting

From: James Golden <jgolden@idc.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 11:47:29 -0400
To: public-swls-ws@w3.org

Abstract:  Clearly, aspects of the semantic web such as ontologies,
management, search, and uniform annotation of genomes offer unlimited
opportunity for the life sciences.  Many research projects exist in the
and industrial domain that have the potential to create products and
that can revolutionize biotechnology and medical science.  However, we know
recent history that company creation around novel boinformatics solutions
doesn't always result in commercial success or even broad adoption from a
community that could clearly benefit from these tools.  In this talk I will

review some of the business creation issues in turning important knowledge
management research into viable commercial opportunities.  This talk will
include an overview of what pharma and biotech companies spend on software
other IT, what sorts of problems pharma and biotech research face everyday
how pharma executives put a dollar value on tools that enable innovation
enhance productivity.

Jim Golden, Ph.D.
VP, Research
Life Science Insights, an IDC Company