Re: transitions to Working Group'

Thanks for your kind words. When I started up the discussion about the Internet of Humans in various online fora, including SWISIG, I got back a lot of feedback mentioning the need to standardize and focus on the security and privacy requirements.

But what really got me moving were two articles I found through a search on the website of Privacy International;
1.
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
SCHOOL OF LAW
PUBLIC LAW & LEGAL THEORY RESEARCH PAPER SERIES
WORKING PAPER NO. 13-64
LAW & ECONOMICS RESEARCH PAPER SERIES
WORKING PAPER NO. 13-36
Big Data and Due Process: Toward a Framework to Redress Predictive Privacy Harms
Kate Crawford and Jason Schultz
October 2013

2.
de Montjoye, Y.-A., Hidalgo, C.A., Verleysen, M. & Blondel, V.D.
Unique in the Crowd: The privacy bounds of human mobility. Sci. Rep. 3, 1376;
DOI:10.1038/srep01376 (2013).

These spell out in detail the harms inflicted on individuals if security and privacy issues are not addressed

I quote the summary of the second article:

We study fifteen months of human mobility data for one and a half million individuals and find that human mobility traces are highly unique. In fact, in a dataset where the location of an individual is specified hourly, and with a spatial resolution equal to that given by the carrier’s antennas, four spatio-temporal points are enough to uniquely identify 95% of the individuals. We coarsen the data spatially and temporally to find a formula for the uniqueness of human mobility traces given their resolution and the available outside information. This formula shows that the uniqueness of mobility traces decays approximately as the 1/10 power of their resolution. Hence, even coarse datasets provide little anonymity. These findings represent fundamental constraints to an individual’s privacy and have important implications for the design of frameworks and institutions dedicated to protect the privacy of individuals.

Which means that all current apps that use geo-spatial data are already infringing on privacy and security in a big way and this will only get worse with the advent of medical apps which according to a recent report already number in the 80,000 plus.

My choice to help stimulate creation of the SWISIG Community Group was partially based on some assumptions and my intuition.

Since HCI and machine to machine interaction require intelligence driven interfacing the work of our community group can be seen as covering a lot of ground. But we have powerful allies out there willing to assist us.

I hope to inspire more of our group to come forward and make a commitment.

What we can do as a working group is important

Milton Ponson
GSM: +297 747 8280
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide by creating ICT tools for NGOs worldwide and: providing online access to web sites and repositories of data and information for sustainable development

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you h
ave received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.