From: Danny Ayers [mailto:danny.ayers@gmail.com]
Sent: 17 January 2008 17:59
To: Peter F Brown
Cc: KANZAKI Masahide; martin.hepp@uibk.ac.at; Peter Ansell; Bernard Vatant; Reto Bachmann-Gmür; Leo Sauermann; public-sweo-ig@w3.org; semantic-web@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTTP URIs for real world objects

On 17/01/2008, Peter F Brown <peter@pensive.eu> wrote:
> Just to clarify a couple of points:
> - when I refer to the use/mention issue it is in the sense of understanding that www.example.com/psi/apple can be "used" as being the thing pointed to (that URI might dereference, for example, to a string of data that, for the owner of the domain, is to be used as being the thing named); or it can be "mentioned" as something that is a marker or token, standing as a proxy for the thing, elsewhere in addressable network space or not; My issue today is that there is no mechanism in the RDF standard to tell me if you intend it stand for the formal or the latter case.

Ah, ok, thanks. This seems approx. in the httpRange-14 space, in that
when trying to access a resource, if the URI only corresponds to a
"mention" you'll get a 303 See Other redirect to a different URI which
will typically have a description of the (real-world) thing in
question. If it's a "use" the response will be a 200 Ok together with
the representation of interest.

Whether or not that is the case, I don't see why the use/mention
distinction can't appear in RDF directly, e.g. :

<uri> a :Use .
or
<uri> a :Mention .

(I think I've seen a vocab around somewhere that includes a class
InformationResource...)

Cheers,
Danny.

--