Re: [Fwd: ANN: DBpedia - New version of the DBpedia dataset released.]

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:54:34 +0200
To: kidehen@openlinksw.com
CC: Susie Stephens <Stephens_Susie_M@lilly.com>, W3C SWEO IG <public-sweo-ig@w3.org>

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Ivan Herman wrote:
>> Susie,
>> this was discussed yesterday on the SWEO group...
>> However: I have second thoughts about the SWEO blog on this. The DBPedia
>> work is really the work of the Freie Univesiteit Berlin, and I am not
>> 100% sure that it can/could be considered part of the SWEO project. My
>> only concern is: I do not want Chris to feel that we, sort of, hijack
>> their work for W3C purposes, so to say. Maybe Kingsley can tell us more
>> Ivan
> Ivan,
> The DBpedia project is not the work of Freie, it's the work of the
> Linking Open Data (LOD) Community (a SWEO Project as described from day
> one). There are many individuals involved in this collaboration.

Oops, you are right. It is not the work of Freie but lot of others.
Sorry about that, no harm intended. My main problem was actually
elsewhere; the reason I was a bit cautious is because the whole work
began (afaik) before the SWEO project started...

> I am somewhat perturbed about this Freie concern.
> Remember, this whole thing runs of a Virtuoso instance in our labs which
> was offered as part of our commitment to this effort under the auspices
> of SWEO.

I know. As I said, sorry about that. My concern was whether the whole
thing was or was not under the auspices of W3C SWEO, not about the

> If someone as said something to raise these alarms, please let me know
> whom etc..

No, nobody said anything. But I spent 6 years in the comm part of W3C
and I probably turned very sensitive about the image of W3C and want to
avoid giving the impression of an arrogant, overecompassing behemoth
(believe me, those opinions exist:-(

Anyway, I am happy if you feel comfortable with a blog entry; I leave
the details to Susie

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/