Re: need editing help on the cool URI document

Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> Leo,
>
> On 28 Nov 2007, at 10:15, Leo Sauermann wrote:
>> For this issue, a discussion would be good,
>>     • issue-non-informationresource web document VS information
>> resource. We stand alone (with friendly smiles from timbl) on the term
>> "web document", both the SWD and Noah do not like "web document". As
>> this is W3C note, we should think about dropping the term "web
>> document" from the document and instead only mention it at the
>> beginning and then use "information resource" and "non-information
>> resource". We should phrase a new introduction sentence on the
>> difference, but its tricky to use non-information resource for
>> "concept uris" and "information resource" for webdocument/ document
>> uris. At the end, everything is information, also a document and a
>> concept.
>
> I'm strongly opposed to changing this terminology.
>
> "Non-information resource" is possibly the most unfortunate term ever
> used in discussions of web architecture, and we should quickly forget
> that it ever existed. It is a disaster.
>
> "Information resource" is an official engineering term, but
> inappropriate for an introductory document.
>
> The terms we currently use, "thing"/"other resource" and "web document"
> are appropriate, sufficiently well-explained and correct. The
> terminology has support from key TAG members, including TimBL. I don't
> think that anything needs to be changed with regard to these terms.

Even if you choose to keep it that way, a note relating these terms to
the current terms used in http-14 is useful. It can be a note in the
appendix, but let us not pretend those terms are not in use (regardless
of their value, whether people like them or not...)

I.

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/