RE: SWEO - Thoughts, Not Slides

David,

Also thoughts -

A key argument for the CIO audience is represented in the SW layered
pyramid (whatever layers) in contrast to previous AI/expert systems
solutions.

Each step provides a solution to a specific problem, and they are the
progressive problems of organizations as they grow in size and maturity
of IT/IS systems. OMG have tried similar arguments for their model based
design & technologies. SW uses the Web as the starting point (the
outward face of an organization) rather than software development (an
internal, organogramatically minor part of most organizations).

SW technology builds in stages where the skills of staff and the cost of
tooling is not wasted at each step, but each step adds to the skills and
tools that the staff already have, and add new functionality at the same
time. Each step is accessible to staff who understand the previous step,
and they can grow there skills while building on their understanding of
the complexity and risks involved.

The cost arguments from this are that relatively small investments move
up each step yielding identifiable benefits, rather than the glory
arguments that a single vast investment will yield everything. The risks
of investment can be managed progressively, and the Return on Investment
(ROI) on each stage identified and used to justify the investment in the
next step.

So the SW is designed to link risk management, investment strategy, ROI
and maturity of IT/IS into a single progression.

Prof Michael Wilson

Manager, W3C Office in the UK & Ireland

STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK

http://www.e-science.stfc.ac.uk/organisation/staff/michael_wilson/