W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sweo-ig@w3.org > May 2007

Meeting minutes are at...

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 17:27:42 +0200
Message-ID: <465D97EE.7070601@w3.org>
To: W3C SWEO IG <public-sweo-ig@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2007/05/30-SWEO-minutes.html

Text version below.

Thanks everyone!

Ivan

-----------------------------------------------------

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                       W3C SWEO IG Weekly telco

30 May 2007

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2007/05/30-SWEO-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Karen, Susie, Kingsley, wing, Lee, Frank, Ivan, PaulaP,
          bengee, Leo, uldis, drooks, Jeff_Schiffel, Melli

   Regrets
          Pasquale, Danny, Dunja

   Chair
          Susie

   Scribe
          Leo

Contents

     * [3]Topics
     * [4]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

Community projects

   Bengee reports on cooperations.

   Bengee reports that the knowee project will get more exposure.

   David Rooks reports that there are no updates on his community
   project, they are very busy

   <ivan> ACTION: susie sends a mail to Paul on the segala project
   [recorded in
   [5]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/30-SWEO-minutes.html#action01]

Information gathering

   Benjamin has worked on a draft of the semantic web info portal

   Kingsley has connected Ivan with a contact at openlinksw

   Kingsley setup a database for our info-gathering task, and the issue
   then is to connect the w3c url to the endpoint at openlinksw

   Ivan: the problem now is that people have to upload their data to
   this form

   Kingsley has setup a form to upload files for infogathering

   Ivan reports that W3C will have a hitachi fellow later this year,
   who might help here

   Ivan hopes that the new fellow will do some of these things.

   <ivan> [6]http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering

      [6] http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering

   Susie asks which people could contribute to providing tutorials and
   other material

   <scribe> ACTION: leo should collect people that may provide
   tutorials, and do some outreach to collect more material [recorded
   in [7]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/30-SWEO-minutes.html#action02]

   Agreement was that we should focus in Information Gathering first on
   the infrastructure, and then to motivate core contributors, then to
   find missing material

Flyer

   susie: we would like to invite the comm team to next week's meeting
   to discuss the flyers and the logos,

   <PaulaP> sounds good

   <PaulaP> I'll be @ ESWC, but I think Dunja will attend the meeting

   ivan: the plan is that the w3c communication team has a meeting next
   monday,

   <PaulaP> I hope we can have another version of the cover for the SW
   flyer until then

   <_uldis> for the blue version i would prefer if the "Realising the
   Web of Data" were not that crowded togther w. the main title

   ivan: where ian, marie-claire and bengee take part to discuss the
   flyers

   <_uldis> e.g., make it like
   [8]http://sparql.captsolo.net/2007/05/blueversion-2.png

      [8] http://sparql.captsolo.net/2007/05/blueversion-2.png

   Paula reports on updates to the flyer, the colors and layout have
   been improved

   ivan: copyright issue?

   susie: at the bottom of the brochure it says that the copyright
   belongs to the rewerse project
   ... that would be good to have the copyright of w3c there

   paulp: its ok, to have copyright w3c there and supported by rewerse
   as a attribution

Logos

   bengee says about the logos for semantic web, there are others
   working on a logo and ..

   ivan: sweo will make a contest open to logos, and have more
   submissions

   susie: this is somehow a mess

   <bengee> [9]http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/Logos

      [9] http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/Logos

   ivan: amongst the various button we have for ontologies, the grddl
   is the weakest. the others are good!
   ... maybe bengee can use what those guys have as input for a button

   bengee: i updated the wiki page with many new things:
   [10]http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/Logos

     [10] http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/Logos

   ivan: this page looks good, when is this page finished?

   bengee: one logo is left to do. then I am more or less done

   <scribe> ACTION: ivan waits with the invitation to marie claire
   until the logos are finished. [recorded in
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/30-SWEO-minutes.html#action03]
   (Completed)

   <scribe> ACTION: bengee sends an e-mail to Ivan when the logos are
   finished [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/30-SWEO-minutes.html#action04]
   (Completed)

Use Cases

   ivan: at the moment we have 11 uploaded use cases
   ... we will get the chinese application tomorrow, the FAO probably
   at the end of the week
   ... when we have 12, we can get public. At this weekend we have
   enough.

   gratulations!

   <Karen> SemTech conference use cases

   scribe: continuing reports on use cases by everyone ...

   ivan: different application areas - we may compare what we have now
   with our list

Survey

   karen: progress about the survey. there was progress
   ... we will have a finished version by next week

Conferences

   susie: next topic: conferences

   [13]http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/Conferences

     [13] http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/Conferences

   susie: what conferences should we go to?
   ... what to do next?

   susie reports from the semantic technologies conference

   there were about 800 people there

   susie: for next year i hope to see more solutions in production
   ... there was a software developers forum at one evening, with a
   panel discussion where I attended
   ... a guy from google was on the panel, saying it was so slow.
   ... (the progress of rdf is slow)

   <kidehen> R.Guha is who Susie mentioned

   <kidehen> deep history with RDF

   susie: we reported on the use cases and available tools

   <kidehen> from MCF days at apple (precursor of RDF)

   <kidehen> ex. Cyc developer also

   susie: uris are a cornerstone

   <kidehen> major historic figure for those who may not know

   <Karen> +1 one page document

   susie: we need a one-page doucment about uris

   karen, melli, frank were also at the ESTC

   melli: the use of standards increased now on ESTC.

   industry is more on the conference

   we need to get beyond the "two people in a company prototyping some
   thingy"

   melli: next year its going ot be very interesging

   karen: people were itnerested in seing use cases and more
   educational material
   ... omg mentioned to publish something soon

   karen: not much mention of grddl and rules
   ... knowledge management, search

   frank: my plan is in oil&gas centric conferences, talk about
   semantic web applications there

   frank: I don't see these guys going to semantic web conferences

   [14]http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~sauermann/2006/11/cooluris/

     [14] http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~sauermann/2006/11/cooluris/

   <kidehen> leobard: this comes down to URLs and URNs matter

   <kidehen> are URIs HTTP only or not is the question?

   <kidehen> leobard: this is a contentious issue

   ivan: take this document to TAG, Henry Thompson, DanC, TimBl, to let
   them bless the document

   <kidehen> TimBL's rule #2 is the issue here: Use HTTP URIs

   <_uldis> is there an url on ESW wiki for semantic web conferences
   like ESWC?

   <scribe> ACTION: leobard, hand this document to the TAG [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/30-SWEO-minutes.html#action05]

   <_uldis> SWEO conference page explicitly says - no ESWC, ...

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: ivan waits with the invitation to marie claire until
   the logos are finished. [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/30-SWEO-minutes.html#action03]
   COMPLETED

   [NEW] ACTION: leo should collect people that may provide tutorials,
   and do some outreach to collect more material [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/30-SWEO-minutes.html#action02]

   [NEW] ACTION: leobard, hand this document to the TAG [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/30-SWEO-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: susie sends a mail to Paul on the segala project
   [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/30-SWEO-minutes.html#action01]

   [DONE] ACTION: bengee sends an e-mail to Ivan when the logos are
   [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2007/05/30-SWEO-minutes.html#action04]
   COMPLETED


   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [21]scribe.perl version 1.128
    ([22]CVS log)
    $Date: 2007/05/30 15:26:21 $

     [21] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [22] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/



-- 

Ivan Herman, W3C Semantic Web Activity Lead
URL: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
PGP Key: http://www.cwi.nl/%7Eivan/AboutMe/pgpkey.html
FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf


Received on Wednesday, 30 May 2007 15:27:26 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:17:37 GMT