Re: Introductions

I am part of the Oracle Database Semantic Technologies group.   To
introduce the group first,
we have developed a database component to store, manage, and query
RDF/OWL data stored in the database.  The work in the group started 4
years ago, and several papers have been published ([1], [2], [3], [4]).
As you can see from [5], the research work led to a product.  Other
members of the group are part of other W3C groups such as the SPARQL
Working Group.

Part of my role in the group is interacting with users, understanding
use cases and helping them get started on this technology.  Given that
this is new technology, we have to show users what they gain from this
technology, and that is part of my role.  These interactions are very
interesting and show us what pieces of the technology are considered
immediately useful to users, the challenges they face in adopting this
technology, and the types of problems they hope to solve using this
technology. We see a lot of interest from users, and many novel ways in
which people are using the technology.  However, there appears to be a
need to clearly articulate the benefits of semantic technology for
particular applications. A common question we get is: "I can solve this
using these other technologies, how exactly is using semantic
technologies better?".  Looking at this question from the point of view
of different kinds of applications provides some very interesting
perspectives.

After my Ph.D. in Computer Science I have been at Oracle for nearly 10
years, working initially for the multimedia group where I worked on
content-based retrieval on images and on image metadata management for
Life Science applications.  I later began to work on semantic
technologies.  My background in multimedia and semantics led me to be
part of the Multimedia Semantics Incubator Group [6], and now I am
looking forward to participating in the SWEO group.  As part of my work
with customers there are some publications under progress.

Melli

[1] S. Das, E. I. Chong, G. Eadon, J. Srinivasan. Supporting
Ontology-based Semantic Matching in RDBMS. 30th International Conference
on Very Large Data Bases, Toronto, Canada, 2004.

[2] E. I. Chong, S. Das, G. Eadon, J. Srinivasan. An Efficient SQL-based
RDF Querying Scheme. 31st International Conference on Very Large Data
Bases, Trondheim, Norway, 2005.

[3] N. Alexander, S. Ravada. RDF Object Type and Reification in the
Database.  International Conference on Data Engineering, Atlanta, USA, 2006.

[4] E. I. Chong, S. Das, G. Eadon, J. Srinivasan. Supporting Keyword
Columns with Ontology-based Referential Constraints in DBMS.
International Conference on Data Engineering, Atlanta, USA, 2006.

[5] http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/semantic_technologies/index.html

[6] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/mmsem/