Re: [Fwd: SDForum Ontology vs. Folksonomy]

Ivan Herman wrote:

> Thanks for these slides Jeff. What was the reaction in the audience, b.t.w.?
>
> Actually... what you say is interesting at one point: "The organizers
> intent was to drive some controversy in the audience". I feel like
> public figures being manipulated by journalists. Of course, it is good
> for the organizers if there is controversy, that is their bread and
> butter, but it is manipulation nevertheless...

Ivan,

Unfortunately we have the old media controversy model trumping eduction
and enlightenment re. the Web. In a sense, this is a reflection of their
inflection driven apprehension. The Semantic Web and too some degree W3C
have become the softest of targets for this nonsense. O'Reilly naturally
struggles with anything that equates to Web 2.0+. In short, traditional
print media types just don't get it at all which leaves stirring the
controversy pot the best option for filling up seats at these events.

Publishers grok blurb in the form of Web Content expressed in XML (at
best). They don't understand granular data access or data modeling. And
where there is some data appreciation then sharing is a no-no. The
Semantic Web is about things they don't understand, and where
understood, it totally turns their business models upside down. This is
ultimately what we are up against :-)

That said, we simply continue to educate en route busting every myth out
there!

Kingsley

--

Regards,