W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sweo-ig@w3.org > March 2007

Minutes of our meetings are at...

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 16:52:35 +0100
Message-ID: <45EEDFC3.7050503@w3.org>
To: W3C SW Education and Outreach IG <public-sweo-ig@w3.org>

http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html

Text version below

Ivan

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                    SWEO Interest Group Weekly Telco

7 Mar 2007

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Paula, Danny, Kjetil, Orri, Benjamin, Danja, Kingsley, Ivan,
           Karen, Wing, Martin, Dunja, Lee, Susie

    Regrets
           Pasquale_Popolizio, Dave_Rooks, Uldis_Bojars,
           Tassilo_Pellegrini

    Chair
           Susie

    Scribe
           leobard

Contents

      * [3]Community projects
      * [4]Information gathering
      * [5]Survey results
      * [6]Use Cases
      * [7]Feedbacks on the SW-FAQ

      * [8]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________


    susie: kjetil: updates on community projects?

Community projects

    kjetilk: a new text on the mailinglist about community projects

    susie: would it be good to organize a hacker community meeting to
    get things started?

    kjetilk: face to face is good, but I am not sure if travelling and
    ... is good for this

    susie: what about a conference and colocating it?

    kjetilk: perhaps ISWC/ESWC

    susie: There is the Semantic Technology conference

    <PaulaP> one is Vienna, one in Innsbruck

    <PaulaP> +1

    Dunitschka: the semantic technology is in vienna

    <scribe> ACTION: talk next week about possible conference on hacking
    [recorded in
    [9]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action01]

Information gathering

    <Susie> Leo discussing what RDF formats to use for InfoGathering.

    <Susie> Leo has problem in that there isn't concensus on the best
    approach

    kidehen: leo: my perspective is that when we locate resource that
    fall into different categories
    ... the important thing is to be able to identify items like
    atom/rss
    ... SIOC is being modified at the moment, it was motivated with
    dicsussion forums and blogs
    ... SIOC we want to make it more generic
    ... as long as it is a standard format, we will import it
    ... there is no conflicts between SIOC and data

    leobard: so lets use the current proposal of RDFvocabs and say we
    are open for more

    kidehen: I can put the data gathering software on a W3C server
    ... part of dbpedia project, we can make a SWEO part of it

    ivan: first issue: checked the wiki, made some small additions
    ... one point is bibtex

    leobard: if we stress this now, I would go to the stuff
    bibsonomy.org uses

    ivan: I use bibsonomy.org, fine with me

    leobard: I have contact with them, we can fix bugs (Robert)

    ivan: second issue: kingsley was asking ... one thing is developing
    and installing it, second is maintaining it
    ... if its successfull, we have to be ready for a blast
    ... we may face an overload

    ivan: we have to keep this running forever

    kidehen: temporary solution: I have servers
    ... data is peanuts compared to what I already handle
    ... my server provides a rdf dump

    leo: I see three steps, A is agree on a data format, B is gathering
    the source data, C is displaying it user friendly
    ... A seems to be done, B and C have to be coordinated now

    kidehen: is there rdf sources out there?

    <kidehen> yes

    ivan: there are... dave becket, book list, bibsonomy, ...
    ... w3c has some talks metadata

    leobard: if we as SWEO propose a format, people will love it
    ... we have to agree on A

    we need to update
    [10]http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/DataVoca
    bulary

      [10] 
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/DataVocabulary

    and
    [11]http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/Classifi
    cationOntology

      [11] 
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/ClassificationOntology

    susie: I would like this is done next week,

    <danja> +1 to Susie - anything that can be turned into concrete
    actions is good

    susie: I would blog about the results

    <scribe> ACTION: discuss on this wiki pages until next week:
    [12]http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/Classifi
    cationOntology [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action02]

      [12] 
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/ClassificationOntology

    <scribe> ACTION: finish discussion on this wiki page unitl next
    week:
    [14]http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/DataVoca
    bulary [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action03]

      [14] 
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/DataVocabulary

    <Susie> [16]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/

    <danja> planetrdf++ !

    <scribe> ACTION: leobard: contact Alistair from SKOS if he has a
    decent SKOS editor [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action04]

    <danja> leobard, I suggest breaking out another page on the wiki

    danja: go for it

    <danja> "Data sources" or similar, taking stuff from "Existing data
    and People involved" onwards

    danja: its on InformationGathering, scroll down
    ... go to
    [18]http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering

      [18] http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering

    <danja> yeah, but all on same page - could be split into more
    manageable chunks

    danja: yes, do that! (please, do it, collaborate :-)

    <bengee> there is only one skos editor atm, and it has to be
    installed locally afaik

    <danja> leobard, ok :-)

Survey results

    susie: Karen, progress report?

    <danja> yeah, but all on same page - could be split into more
    manageable chunks

    Karen: Wing and I are going to work more tomorrow

    susie: use cases are slowly dropping in

    final report on use cases next week..

Use Cases

    susie: we made a more user friendly version of the bt use case
    ... revised version of other use case just got back
    ... total of four use cases
    ... we have to format them before publishing

    <scribe> ACTION: susie - how to format the use cases before
    publishing [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action05]

    ivan: ian gave us free hand,
    ... we need someone with marketing experience

    <danja> for reference -

    <danja>
    [20]http://alistair.cockburn.us/index.php/Sampler_of_good_%26_bad_us
    e_cases

      [20] 
http://alistair.cockburn.us/index.php/Sampler_of_good_%26_bad_use_cases

    <Karen> karen

    <danja> (scroll down and it has guidelines)

    karen: I will look into the format

    <scribe> ACTION: susie - send Karen input for formatting use cases
    [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action06]

    <bengee> leobard, there is a skos editor called ThManager available
    at [22]http://thmanager.sourceforge.net/

      [22] http://thmanager.sourceforge.net/

    bengee: please link this page from the classificationontology

    <bengee> 'k

    <Karen> +1 Susie

Feedbacks on the SW-FAQ

    susie: there was some feedback on FAQ

    kjetilk: there has been .... but its quite good as it is

    ivan: I took more input from ... and added it to the faq
    ... I would love more input comparing traditional search engines
    with semantic web

    kidehen: I blogged about google base recently, its related

    <scribe> ACTION: kidehen write an e-mail to ivan about this blog
    post about google base [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action07]

    <danja> "Is the Semantic Web another search engine?"

    susie: I asked danny ayers to review FAQ

    Karen: there was confusion between search engines and semantic web

    <danja> (make it an action item for me if you like)

    Karen: use cases showing a combination/reuse are good

    ivan: the postings about microformats are the approach that is good

    susie: danja to review faq

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: discuss on this wiki pages until next week:
    [24]http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/Classifi
    cationOntology [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: finish discussion on this wiki page unitl next week:
    [26]http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/DataVoca
    bulary [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: kidehen write an e-mail to ivan about this blog post
    about google base [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action07]
    [NEW] ACTION: leobard: contact Alistair from SKOS if he has a decent
    SKOS editor [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: susie - how to format the use cases before publishing
    [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: susie - send Karen input for formatting use cases
    [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action06]
    [NEW] ACTION: talk next week about possible conference on hacking
    [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2007/03/07-sweo-minutes.html#action01]

      [24] 
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/ClassificationOntology
      [26] 
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/DataVocabulary

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [33]scribe.perl version 1.128
     ([34]CVS log)
     $Date: 2007/03/07 15:53:11 $
      _________________________________________________________

      [33] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [34] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/


-- 

Ivan Herman, W3C Semantic Web Activity Lead
URL: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
PGP Key: http://www.cwi.nl/%7Eivan/AboutMe/pgpkey.html
FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf
Received on Wednesday, 7 March 2007 15:54:28 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:28:52 UTC