Re: data format for gathered information

Uldis Bojars wrote:
> Ivan,
>
> In this particular case a discussion on a mailing may be best, but it is
> also possible to leave comments on the wiki. They are usually written in a
> separate paragraph (right after the thing they are commenting, or at the end
> of the document) and "signed" with a name of a person leaving the comment.
> You can also indent them to separate from the main text. See an example at
> [1].
>
> [1] http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?VisualizeTheWiki
>
> It's a good idea about dcterms vocabulary. What properties do you suggest we
> use from it? SIOC is currently using dcterms:created and dcterms:modified to
> be more specific that generic dc:date, but there may be other potential
> candidates for reuse.

just ideas:

http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Image
http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/InteractiveResource
http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/MovingImage
http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Software
http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Sound
http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/StillImage

http://purl.org/dc/terms/abstract
http://purl.org/dc/terms/accessRights
http://purl.org/dc/terms/alternative
http://purl.org/dc/terms/audience
http://purl.org/dc/terms/available
http://purl.org/dc/terms/educationLevel
http://purl.org/dc/terms/hasFormat
http://purl.org/dc/terms/hasVersion
http://purl.org/dc/terms/isVersionOf

etc

(see http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/index.shtml)

there lots of things there, though there might be overlaps with some
DOAP terms, for example. But if we are talking about electronic
resources, eg, books or tutorials, some of these really make sense

> For books and articles also look at [2] describing MarcOnt - an initiative
> to create an ontology for bibliographical information and to mediate between
> different formats out there.
>
> [2]
> http://www.marcont.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=4
> 4

Well, this is the typical case when we should follow the advise of the
Digital Library community, we are talking about scholarly references
here. However, I brought up BibTeX is because it has become, de facto,
the vocabulary of choice in academic circles, ie, it looks like the best
platform to be used

(Caveat: people usually have their data in BibTeX format and they would
prefer to submit it that way. Some time ago I tried to find a simple
BibTeX parser that I could have hacked to produce the RDF version I
wanted, and I did not find any:-(

Ivan