Re: tutorial documents - follow up to portal plans (lets make tutorials instead of portals, or both, ?)

Leo Sauermann wrote:

> Instead of doing a portal...
>
> So more important and doable may be that we start and initiate some
> important tutorials:
> * Beginners guide for the Semantic Web (giving pointers to RDF-primer,
> cool-uris, linked data, RDFS-primer, OWL)
> * What RDF tool to chose? (giving pointers to the most popular tools,
> jena, sesame, 3store, how to visualize it using treehugger or fresnel, etc)
> * How to move your Web 2.0 application to the Semantic Web 2.0 (web 3.0) ?
> explaining how to embed rdf into websites, making good uris, resolution,
> pick ontologies, giving links to 101-ontology guide, linked data, etc.

Hi Leo,

It's been my understanding that the whole point of the Info Gathering
task was that there's so much great materials out there already that
SWEO should avoid writing new materials and instead catalog, organize,
and present what is already out there. Also, the group has consistently
in the past shied away from going down a road that would require us to
anoint certain tools, tutorials, etc. as "the best" or "featured"
(though it's been something I've been suggesting all along).

That said, perhaps we as a group have changed our mind on these things?

If that's the case, though, the materials that I'd like to see us
generate are quite different from the ones you say. I'd like to see:

* A non-technical introduction to the Semantic Web
* What do Semantic Web technologies bring to an enterprise? (a
business-level overview)
* How can existing enterprise applications, services, and data sources
benefit from Semantic Web technologies? (more technical this one)

Now, I don't expect SWEO to actually produce all of these, but I did
want to point out that we don't all share the same priorities as to what
materials are most useful to educate people not already in the Semantic
Web community. That was a large reason (I thought) that SWEO didn't set
out to generate these sorts of tutorials in the first place.

Lee